Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Words!

I've decided I love words. Last night as I was trying to go to sleep, I was thinking about how remarkable they are. A series of letters, put together to convey greater meaning, to share thoughts, and to connect the human experience. I was thinking of some of my favorite words--some are my favorites just because of the sounds they make coming off of the tongue, and some are my favorites because they are just perfect for what sentiment, what action, what thought is needed for any situation. So, here they are...in no particular order:

1. Raucous--"disagreeably harsh or strident OR boisterously disorderly"

2. Serreptitious--"done, made, or acquired by stealth OR acting or doing something clandestinely"

3. Recalcitrant-- "obstinately defiant of authority or restraint OR difficult to manage or operate OR not responsive to treatment "

4. Glower--"to look or stare with sullen annoyance or anger"

5. Querulous--"habitually complaining, fretful, or whining"

6. Candid--"free from bias, prejudice, or malice OR marked by honest sincere expression"

Lesson Learned--none really from the statements above, but I will leave it with the following caution from the Bible:

"When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise." Proverbs 10: 19

I'm still working on that one.

(also, many thanks to merriamwebster.com for their formal definitions.)

1 comment:

Jess said...

I was just reading your recent posts. Language is really wonderful isn't it? So specific sometimes.

I also love "recalcitrant" but my favorite has got to be "serendipity" and any other word you can make out of it. "Flummoxed" and "yammer" make me want to giggle. There are so many awesome words out there and I really can't think of any other favorites at the moment. What a shame!

So, what ever happened to that girl who once complained that her vocabulary was too small and limited, hm? ;)