Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Blow Up


Today, I went over the edge. Blew my top, had the straw break my back, flipped out, flew off the handle--all of that. We're talking about yelling, face turning unnatural colors, sweating, and a few small choice words, then more yelling. It may be that I've been stressed lately (probably that's umm 99% of it) but it was also the FACT THAT NOBODY EVER SEEMS TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON WITH AHEC ROTATIONS!!!! For those of you who don't know, those are rural rotations out in other parts of the state--Area Health Education Centers(?)


I've been signed up to do a Rural AI with our Dept. of Family and Community Medicine SINCE MARCH...and the rotation is supposed to start Sept. 1..... today, after speaking with multiple people multiple times (oh...about a total of 8 emails/face to face convos/etc.) I FINALLY get the name of just one person down there, so I wouldn't just show up and have nowhere to go.


The thing is, the AHEC coordinator had never heard of this so called "Rural AI" --didn't even know what an "AI" is...here's the thing: IT'S A COURSE IN OUR CATALOG!!! IT'S BEEN A COURSE IN OUR CATALOG!!! Somewhere, obviously, somebody isn't so organized or good at sharing information. I don't blame the AHEC person, either.


Lesson Learned: Just because something is listed as available, it doesn't mean that it will go off without a hitch, even though any NORMAL person would expect that.
OH-- update--this just in, I will NOT in fact be living in what is quoted as "Housing is in an efficiency basement apartment with its own entrance. The apartment consists of living room, bedroom, bathroom, dining area, and a small kitchenette in the utility room. There is a microwave oven and refrigerator. You will be sharing the washer and dryer with the family on weekends. The apartment is completely furnished (please bring bath towels, wash cloths). " I just spoke to the lady who has said area and she says "Oh, did Kathy not tell you? There's already a student living there, she couldn't find anywhere else for you to live, so you'll be living upstairs in a room in my house, you'll have a private bath, but you'll have to share the kitchen with me.
Now, I'm very fortunate to have a place to live, I'm happy about that. BUT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO HAVE FOUND THIS NEW INFO OUT A LITTLE SOONER, dontcha think?




No comments: