Thursday, August 28, 2008

God Second-Thinks?

So, I've been reading 1Samuel some. It's about how David got put into the position of "being a man after God's own heart." Good story. I've not finished it yet, but still, I know it's a good story. But the other night, I was reading and I was surprised by something I read.

Now, this doesn't happen much-- not surprise/shock. The most probable and correct assumption would be that I don't read the Bible enough then. But ususally, I do have something that speaks to me or is unexplicably wise, but usually not surprised. Here it is---

1Samuel 15:35: "And the Lord was grieved that he had made Saul king over Israel."

My first response was "Wow, really? The Creator of the Universe was sad that he did something?" I mean, he's omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent... He knew what the outcome would be before the world was even made, yet even then, He was sorry that He did it. He doesn't answer to anybody, has no obligations to fulfill, and can do whatever He pleases.

The Israelites had asked that God give them a king. He tried to indicate that even though they thought they did, they didn't want to be like all the other kingdoms, but they insisted--and got Saul, who was awful. All this time, God was planning on putting David in after Saul. So, if Saul was the means to the end to get David in, then why would He be sorry?

This is one of the times where I wish I knew Hebrew. I'd like to understand the nuance of grieved. Was God grieved because of all the trouble His choice was causing Him? (like, needing to do more work to fix it?) Was God grieved that He was seeing His children make a bad choice, which He granted? Was He just grieved that He'd made a bad decision? But how could it be a bad decision/mistake if He knew the outcome and could have prevented it in the first place?

Ok, my head is spinning now, but you get the point.

If God was grieved over a decision He made, I wonder what other times that He grieved/grieves in the same way? I'm sure there was grieving over Jesus' death on the cross, but at the same time joy.

Lessoned Learned: Maybe sometimes God isn't so happy with all of the things He decides to do.

What it's Worth: It's worth knowing that I have a God who understands what grieving over a decision is like, and He's here to comfort me through it, and He's got a plan further down the line that's better.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You Rock, but I've told you that before.

Genesis 6:6 The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain.

2 Samuel 24:16 When the angel stretched out his hand to destroy Jerusalem, the LORD was grieved because of the calamity and said to the angel who was afflicting the people, “Enough! Withdraw your hand.”

Isaiah 63:10 Yet they rebelled and grieved his Holy Spirit.

Don't be too impressed I just remembered that I had a bible study on this exact thing so I pulled it out.

Dragonfly said...

There are so many nuances that we cannot understand without a good knowledge of Hebrew/Aramaic/Latin/Greek, just make sure we use good translations. It must be such a HUGE responsbility to translate the Word.
NKJV - Revelation 22:18-19
For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.