Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Rip OFF City!





I've been using these prenatal vitamins that I had as samples from my OB/GYN. They're the "newer age" ones (I guess) that have added DHA and EPA, which are lauded as the big things in supplements for pregnant and post-partum moms because those fatty acids are supposed to help in nervous system (read=BRAIN) development of the baby. So, I decided to ask for a prescription for them because previously, I had been using the Wally-World generic brand previously.




Imagine my shock and surprise when I paid for my prescription today and it cost $60, with my insurance discount! I get in the car and look at how many capsules were included, I was expecting, oh, say 120....no....there were 30 (!!!!!!!!!!!!) in there. I'll say that again...30! That means each VITAMIN pill was $2. Are you kidding me?




This personally offends me. It's such a fleecing of women, at one of their most vulnerable times in their lives. I can see the vitamin makers now:




Vitamin Maker: But don't you want to make sure your baby's brain develops to the best of its ability? What kind of mom WOULDN'T love her child enough to do that?


(guilt trip guilt trip guilt trip....)




It's disgusting. Of course I want the best for my child. Of course I'm going to try my best to help nurture development of a healthy brain in him/her.... but $2 a prenatal vitamin pill?!? I feel like I SHOULD continue to take the "best" prenatal vitamin...and I have read some of the research on DHA and EPA, but perhaps I should do a little more in-depth reading to find out the quality of the research which has been done.
PS, I wrote this oh, about 4 weeks ago, but have been waiting to publish!

No comments: